Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS / NAS Solution Help

Hi, my Photography Businesses current storage Solution is a 5 Bay Terramaster USBC DAS that is quickly reaching the end of its capacity (16TB).
I'm looking to make a sizeable and future-proof update to this, but have been struggling to wrap my head around all the options I have.
I initially wanted to go for a NAS like the Synology 1621+ but that would also entail upgrading it and my office to 10GBE to really make good use of it.
Since I'm a 1-Man business, the benefits of a NAS are kind of unneeded for me. It would be nice to have remote access to the files on there, but that's mostly it.
A DAS seems like the much more straightforward solution, plus I could keep my backblaze backup system like it currently is.
I just struggle to find a fitting DAS solution and they all are seemingly much pricier than a comparable NAS which I'm struggling to understand.
Is there a suitable NAS solution that I may be missing?

Any help would be super appreciated, thank you so much!
Hello! Considering your Photography Business and storage needs of 50-60TB, it seems that a DAS solution would be more suitable for you. DAS offers faster and more cost-effective performance, and since you are a 1-man business, the benefits of a NAS might not be essential for you. Additionally, sticking with your current Backblaze backup system would be simpler with a DAS. However, if you still want the option for remote access to your files, some Thunderbolt-based DAS solutions allow for daisy-chaining, which could be a consideration. Alternatively, you can explore NAS options with PCIe slots that would allow you to upgrade to 10GbE connectivity for faster data access. Keep in mind that NAS is more expandable and enables multiple users to access data simultaneously. Ultimately, the decision depends on your specific workflow and future needs.