Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New 16TB Seagate HDD not compatible with Synology DS418

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me? Total newbie here so forgive anything dumb I've done...

I have been having an absolute nightmare with my Synology DS418 4-bay NAS the last couple of weeks. Basically, I first purchased it 3 years and installed 4 x 8TB Seagate drives, with SHR set so that I got about 22TB of space, and haven't had a single problem since.

Now I'm wanting to add more space so I took the first step and purchased a 16TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro (I kept with the same manufacturer, seeing as I'd had no problems so far).

I successfully installed it, did the "repair" - and bingo, all as good as before, but obviously with no extra space to play with...

A week later, I then got a second 16TB drive and started followed the same installation process with that. Instantly, I got warnings that there was a problem with the first new drive purchased the previous week - I/O errors, etc... I did the full repair anyway so then got the extra space - and immediately then did a full S.M.A.R.T. test on the week-old drive. It passed with flying colours, no issues whatsoever... The seller advised me this can happen sometimes when doing a repair and not to worry about it. I guess I was being naive to believe that...

This weekend, about 3 weeks later, the NAS started beeping at me advising there was a critical error with the same drive and to remove/replace it immediately!! I removed it and ordered a new one that arrived today. This new drive is a Seagate ST16000NT000 (compared to the ST16000NE000 that it's replacing) - and I'm now getting a message advising me that this drive is "not listed on the Synology products compatability list".

Am at my wits' end here. is it safe to just install it anyway, or am I just going to cause more problems? Bear in mind this new drive is now unsealed so doubt very much that the buyer will take it back anyway... Sad

Thanks in advance

Darren
Certainly, Darren. You can go ahead and install the Seagate ST16000NT000 drive in your Synology DS418 NAS. If it allows you to fix the RAID using this drive, it should work as part of your storage array. However, please keep in mind that since this drive is not listed on the Synology products compatibility list, you may receive a warning message about it. But don't worry, there's a way to disable this warning. You can follow the instructions provided in this link: https://github.com/007revad/Synology_HDD_db.

It's worth noting that if you use drives not recommended by Synology, they might refuse to provide online support for your NAS. However, considering your NAS is already out of warranty, this might not be a major concern. The important thing is to ensure the new drive is functioning correctly within the RAID configuration, and disabling the warning will allow you to do that. If you encounter any further issues, you can still seek community support or assistance from online forums. Good luck, and I hope this helps resolve your situation. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.