Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology Photos on DS920+

hi Rob,

I have a DS920+ (4 x 8TB Ironwolf NAS drives, SHR) that I have never quite got running as it should specifically for photos. I recently upgraded to DSM 7.2 and with the upgraded Photos app I want to fully utilize it's features. Specifically, I have about 12TB of "family" files of both photos and videos. I have them categorized in folders by "Year", then in folders by "EventName_Date" and within those folders the individual files. My organizational structure works well for me to manually find images from specific events quickly.
However, I would now like to index all of my photos (and videos if possible) so I can do a name search in Synology Photos to find specific people throughout my entire collection without restructuring my entire organizational structure.
Can I do a photo search for a specific person with my existing file structure or do the photos need to be moved into a special "Photos" directory in order to be searchable?
Love your channel, many thanks!
Rob Bos
Absolutely! With your existing file structure on the DS920+, you can keep your folders organized by "Year" and "EventName_Date" as you currently have them. The Synology Photos app in DSM 7.2 will still be able to index and access all your photos and videos within these folders. You won't need to move them into a special "Photos" directory for them to be searchable. Once indexed, the Synology Photos app will provide you with a convenient "People" filter option, allowing you to perform searches or apply filters based on specific individuals throughout your entire collection. This way, you can efficiently find photos and videos featuring specific people without the need to restructure your existing organizational system. Enjoy the enhanced features of Synology Photos and easily locate your cherished memories!