Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for PC/Phone Backups

My Mom broke her iPhone 11 recently, my last manual iTunes backup was from 2020. She doesn't want her stuff on the cloud. We were able to get the phone repaired and perform an itunes backup. This started my quest to locate a NAS that would be capable of handling simple automated backups. The only youtube videos relating to backing up an iPhone to a NAS were for Synology. I'd prefer an itunes quality disk image backup solution if possible but the most important data i'd like backed up are: pics, vids, contacts/calendars, texts.
Due to the cost of NAS devices, it doesn't make sense to me to spend $500 (including drives) on the cheapest NAS just to back up a handful of my families phones. I'd rather spend a bit more for increased capabilities & longevity. I work as a computer repair tech. Prefer 4-bay, was looking at TS-464 or DS423+. Use for file storage/backup, video storage (like plex).
Hello! It's great that you're looking for a NAS to handle automated backups for your mom's iPhone and other family phones. For backing up photos and videos, NAS devices typically allow you to back up the actual media files or sync a folder like Dropbox. However, system-level backups, including SMS, are not possible through NAS solutions. Therefore, a combination of using cloud services for system backup and the NAS for multimedia is a practical approach.

Regarding the NAS options, the DS223j would be the most budget-friendly choice, while the TS-464 or DS423+ would offer increased capabilities and longevity. These models will provide faster performance, making them suitable for file storage, backups, and video storage, like Plex. As a computer repair tech, investing a bit more in a reliable 4-bay NAS will ensure you have sufficient storage space for your family's data and room for future expansion. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. We're here to help you find the best NAS solution to meet your needs. Happy NAS shopping!