Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying choice

I have over 100TB of photos, spread over various OWC Bolt drives I want to consolidate them and then use the OWC drives for backup My computer is an apple studio with a M! ultra chip, Im trying to decide between a Synology 1821+ with a Dx517 expansion unit or go for a 12 bay unit, but Synology requiring Synology drives bothers me so If the recommendation is a 12 bay which 12 bay in Synology r snap flavoring makes the most sense? or is the Synology 1821+ with DX 517 expansion the best choice? In the future id like to be able to access the system to display my photos as well as uploading files taken from all over the world. Thanks in advance for your help
Considering your substantial storage needs of over 100TB of photos, it would be prudent to opt for a more powerful NAS unit. Both the DS1823xs+ and DS3622xs+ models are excellent choices for handling such a vast amount of data. Their fast CPUs and NVMe caching capabilities will ensure smooth access and indexing of all your files. However, you rightfully pointed out the restrictive drive list concern. Not to worry, there are workarounds available to enable all the extras you need. You can check out the GitHub repository at https://github.com/007revad for helpful hacks. Alternatively, the Ryzen-based models you mentioned could be more budget-friendly options that still provide ample performance for your needs. In the end, it's a matter of balancing performance and cost while keeping future-proofing in mind. Both of these models can fulfill your requirements, allowing you to access and display your photos from anywhere in the world while using your current OWC drives for backup purposes.