Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which additional Synology NAS ?

I have a DS1515+ with upgraded RAM and 5 WD 6TB drives. It runs backup,File serveris, Plex (to Apple TV's) and 9 cameras in surveillance station.

Ive h=just had a drive go down and so ill replace to getvthe SHR pool back, but it got me thinking about splitting the system.. one NAS for Plex and Fileserver and one (the DS1515+) as a dedicated camera NAS as its spends a lot of time hitting the drives (all 2015 drives) and so when they die, It snot mission critical stuff.

Teh question is what to buy.. a 4 bay ?... a 2 bay with SSD's ?.. a $23+ or a 923+ or... etc etc etc.

Ill probably reduce the pool on the 1515 as I don't need all 27TB of SHR many options... any advice would help.

PS- I do not own a. PS5 and would not stream remotely to phone. Im mainly concerned about offloading the heavy camera work and splitting the workload.

Also... Im using Ubiquiti switches and it highlights the NAS load even more.... Two of the four rear ports are aggregated to the switch. best Adrian
If you're considering splitting your workload between two separate NAS units to offload the heavy camera work, it's possible to create separate RAID volumes for CCTV and other purposes. However, keep in mind that this would require reformatting all the drives on your current DS1515+ to reconfigure the setup.

For a dedicated surveillance and basic backup NAS, a simple model like the DS423 would suffice. There is no need to opt for the plus series in this case. The DS423 offers suitable performance and capabilities for your surveillance needs, allowing you to efficiently manage your cameras and store the footage. This option allows you to separate the workload and mitigate the impact on your existing NAS.

Consider your specific storage requirements and preferences when choosing the appropriate capacity for the new NAS. Assessing the workload and deciding on the necessary storage capacity will help you determine whether a 4-bay or 2-bay configuration is more suitable. Additionally, ensure compatibility with your Ubiquiti switches to maintain seamless integration with your network infrastructure.

By splitting the workload and utilizing a dedicated NAS for surveillance purposes, you can optimize performance and extend the lifespan of your drives.