Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Upgrade Advise

I own the DS214play. I mainly use my NAS to stream music files (FLAC and WAV). I also use it to do long-term storing of pictures and some videos. I keep most of my videos and pictures in Google Drive, though. I also keep a few important text, Word, Excel and PDF files, but not a lot of them.

So, my question is, keeping in mind that I mainly use my NAS to stream HiRes music files, would my best upgrade option be to go to the DS220+, DS224+ or the DS723+?

I have 1 Gig home network, wired CAT5e.

Thanks.

Cheers!
When considering an upgrade option for your current DS214play, any of the mentioned NAS models will fulfill your requirements. The DS220+ is equipped with a Celeron processor, which makes remote access for video streaming more convenient. It would be a suitable choice if you prioritize remote video streaming. On the other hand, the DS224+ is an upcoming model that will serve as a replacement for your current DS214play, offering similar specifications. It could be a viable option once it becomes available. Finally, the DS723+ stands out with its Ryzen CPU, PCIe upgrade slot, and NVMe slots. It is well-suited for business purposes or local multimedia tasks, but does not specifically cater to remote video streaming.

Considering your preference for streaming HiRes music files, all three models will be capable of handling this task efficiently. Assess your specific needs, budget, and any additional requirements to make the best choice among the DS220+, DS224+ (once released), and DS723+ models. Keep in mind that your wired CAT5e Gigabit home network will provide sufficient connectivity for these NAS devices.