Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS primarily for photos?

Hi, I'd appreciate advice on a NAS to replace photo cloud storage (android and apple) as near the free limits, have one eye on the future (3 kids) and control over my data. Basically after seamless back-up from mobiles, minimal dragging and dropping, instant access. Saw Synology is well reviewed, as well as coping with iPhone backup and whatever other documents etc we might need. Seen enclosures + disks near budget. I'm an average home computer user, could probably cope with the set up but wasn't clear if I'd got the wrong end of the stick, or whether any better/cheaper options. Tbs of storage are overkill currently but expecting to use half as a mirror. Also wasn't sure about any issues with a mesh network - have Vodafone router (wireless turned off) and a Linksys mesh, presumably can plug into any ethernet port? Thanks for your help
For your needs of seamless backup from mobile devices, easy access, and control over your data, Synology NAS devices are indeed a great choice. Specifically, the Synology DS223, which is based on a Realtek processor, would be a suitable option. It offers straightforward setup, provides data mirroring protection, and can handle your photo cloud storage requirements effectively. Alternatively, you could consider the DS220+, which offers additional features like Active Backup for Business, allowing you to backup servers and PCs. It also provides the ability to upgrade RAM for enhanced performance. Both models offer ample storage capacity, even if terabytes are currently more than you need, with the option to use half of it as a mirror.

Regarding your network setup, you can easily connect the NAS to any available Ethernet port on your Vodafone router or Linksys mesh system. This will enable seamless integration with your existing network infrastructure. Synology NAS devices are designed to work well with various network configurations, providing flexibility and convenience.