Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS

Currently I have a 216+. I have been waiting to upgrade for th 923 but it isn't great for video at the moment (plex,etc). Prime day has 1522+ for 549 us and the 923 for 480. Are these a decent upgrade? Or is it worth waiting or to spend a little more? Or should I consider qnap? I use this for house backups, photo sharing and editing, video also, I want to use it for a few cameras and a doorbell. It has been a Google drive replacement.

Also would a additional small nuc pc or small nas be better to just run plex vs have it all in one box?

If you're considering an upgrade and video performance is a priority, the Synology DS423+ would be a recommended option. It features a quad-core Celeron processor, which provides improved processing power suitable for multimedia tasks like video streaming. The DS423+ offers a good balance between performance and price, making it a worthwhile upgrade from your current DS216+. With its enhanced hardware capabilities, it will handle video-related tasks, including Plex, more efficiently.

Alternatively, if you prefer to separate your Plex server from your primary NAS, you could consider investing in a small Intel NUC PC with an i5 processor dedicated to running Plex. This would offload the processing load and ensure smooth video playback. Pairing it with a budget-friendly J series NAS for your storage needs can provide a cost-effective solution. This setup allows you to allocate resources specifically for Plex while utilizing the NAS for other functions.