Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drobo Replacement

I have a full Drobo 5C. I have a PC with two thunderbolt 4 ports. Was hoping to get a Thunderbolt 4 drobo but just found out now that they have gone under. For me the most important thing about drobo is that I can hot swap out drives as my needs grow. My 5C is full. I have a box of hard drives from the past that I was hoping to toss into a 2nd Thunderbolt 4 drobo and grow it to being full just as I did my 5C. From your video it seems like there are no viable/afforable truly Thunderbolt 4 devices out there. Hoping to spend not much more than $600 or so on the enclosure, start with my current extra drives and grow it as I have my drobos over the year.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You are correct that there are no viable or affordable Thunderbolt 4 alternatives in the DAS market similar to Drobo. However, if you are open to considering a NAS solution, Synology offers drive mixing capabilities that can accommodate your needs. While NAS devices may be slightly slower, you can explore the DS923+ model, which provides excellent performance and the flexibility to start with your current extra drives and expand over time.