Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS - maybe QNap?

Hi,

What I currently have: TS-231P with 2x WD Red 6TB drives, so very much entry level. I do not want more storage (more disks).

My main use cases are:
1- Music Streaming (using Plex), the 231P works fine for that.
2- TV Shows and Movies (that I own) using Plex. It isn't powerful enough for the majority of use cases (not supported messages), and I'd like to stream to one person (I'm by myself) to a web browser over the network, or my TV app (Plex), or have the capacity on a tablet/phone. Always 1 stream.
3- Offload my torrent downloads to my NAS (currently possible)
4- (Very) Light use of Docker Containers (not currently possible with 231P)

I do not want to overpay just to have encoding or Docker containers, but really just want to have at least 1 stream and have Home Automation (Docker) running (not many containers running).
For your use cases, the TS-262 or TS-264 from QNAP, which are Celeron-based models, would be suitable choices. These NAS models can handle at least one Plex stream and support light use of Docker containers for your home automation needs. Alternatively, the DS423+ from Synology is another option with similar hardware and a dedicated multimedia chip, making it well-suited for your media streaming requirements. These options strike a balance between functionality and cost, ensuring you have the necessary features without overpaying for unnecessary capabilities like encoding.