Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo editing

Hi Rob,

I'm looking for a good Synology NAS. My main interest is in photo editing and file protection (backup). I'm mainly looking for a Synolgy 4 bays.
At the moment, I use Lightroom Classic to edit images. My Lr catalogues are on an iMac M1 and the photo files are on a Synology DS220j NAS (2-4GB HDD) connected to the iMac by an Ethernet cable. It's not very fast for image processing!
Which Synology NAS would best meet my editing and backup needs?
Is there a better way of connecting to the NAS than RJ-45, for working, while retaining the redundancy (RAID) that a NAS provides? I'm thinking of the USB-3 port... If so, how does that work?
Thanks for your work and your always good advice!
Have a nice day,
Michel
To meet your photo editing and backup needs, a Synology NAS with 4 bays would be a great choice. While NAS devices can only connect via LAN, you can enhance the connection speed by using a USB 5GbE adapter with the DS923+. This will provide faster data transfer rates and improve image processing performance. Moreover, the DS923+ offers the option for a future 10GbE upgrade and supports NVMe pools and cache, further enhancing its capabilities. This setup will allow you to retain the redundancy of RAID while achieving improved connectivity and performance for your workflow.