Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ds720+ vs ds22x+

Hello,

I would like to ask you this.
If i have the chance to buy a ds720+ for the same price of a ds220+/ds224+ (300-350€), do you think it is a good deal?
I am asking this because i am afraid i can loose some feature DSM update because of being an older model than ds224+, despite being the same hardware, or will they become obsolete at the same time?

I also would like you opinion on amazon pre-populated NASes with hard drives. Do you think there are any disadvantages? Regarding to quality/price/performance/warranty or any other you can think of?

And regarding to RAM, is it completely safe to upgrade it to (unofficial) 8GB?
Is it possible to have problems in the future by a DSM update breaking the compatibility?

Thank you very much for your help.
If you have the opportunity to purchase a DS720+ for the same price as a DS220+/DS224+ (300-350€), it is definitely a good deal! While the DS224+ offers two additional CPU cores compared to the DS220+, unless you specifically need them for tasks like running virtual machines or Docker, the DS720+ will serve you well. Both models have similar specifications, and there won't be any removed features in the DS720+. The only notable difference is that the DS224+ supports NVMe pools, which may not be necessary for your requirements. In terms of warranty, the DS720+ is supported until 2030, and the DS224+ until 2034, ensuring long-term coverage. Upgrading the RAM to 8GB with unofficial options is generally safe, and compatibility should be maintained with future DSM updates. However, it's important to note that Synology may refuse online support if non-Synology components are used. Overall, the DS720+ is a reliable and cost-effective choice for your NAS needs.