Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAM upgrades for DS + series

Having never looked at RAM for 2GB, 4GB before I had no idea it was so affordable. 

DDR4 non-ECC SO-DIMM 4 GB can be found for $20 or less! Begs the question why are the + Series models still shipping with 2GB!? 4GB would cost less than $5 extra. we could expand to the 8GB potential... but that's a rant we've all heard before. 

Now that I'm finally going to be able to pick up a DS223+ DS224+, for an extra $20 (CAN) it seems stupid not to buy the extra RAM. 

That said, information out there is confusing so I'm hoping to get some clarification.

1. does Mhz matter? 2400Mhz based on your YouTube or is 2666Mhz ok?
2. Installing 2GB vs 4GB vs 8GB+ (online users are report installing 8 and 16 cards)
3. Does an extra RAM card equal more heat or electrical. Assuming the same work load.
Synology includes basic RAM modules in their models to provide the option for upgrades (profit from accessories). Upgrading your RAM is only beneficial if you have a specific need for extra memory; otherwise, it won't necessarily improve performance. While faster frequency RAM is generally better, I recommend matching the existing RAM frequency to ensure compatibility. Adding extra RAM will not result in increased electricity consumption. You can find compatible RAM options for Synology NAS models at this link: https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...tible-ram/
Thanks Ed,
Perhaps I'll wait till I have the DS224+ running to see if it lags or needs any boosting. you're probably right.

If I do however decide to hook up a surveillance camera or two, Perhaps at that point, I might need it.

Regarding the Frequency of the DS224+, the YouTube video listed it as 2400, But the 220+ was 2666... this MIGHT be something to note in the Video notes?
(07-11-2023, 07:40 PM)cdpage Wrote: Thanks Ed,
Perhaps I'll wait till I have the DS224+ running to see if it lags or needs any boosting. you're probably right.

If I do however decide to hook up a surveillance camera or two, Perhaps at that point, I might need it.

Regarding the Frequency of the DS224+, the YouTube video listed it as 2400, But the 220+ was 2666... this MIGHT be something to note in the Video notes?

The memory will be just like inside the ds424+ which is 2666MHZ 266
Quote:The memory will be just like inside the ds424+ which is 2666MHZ 266
I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the update.