Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Accessing NAS from PC

Hi, I have found your Youtube vids to be really informative. Thx a lot for those.
My problem: I bought a DS923+ NAS. Installed all the bits & pieces, checked everything out, loaded up a few TB of data, all OK. All done from a single PC. On the PC, it all works as expected. Explorer/Network show it, files can be accessed fine.
Then I moved to a second PC (both PC's Win10-pro, all up to date). On the other PC, Explorer also shows the NAS. Chrome Browser happily accesses it so I can run DSM (7.2), change anything I want.
BUT, if I click on the NAS in explorer, I'm asked to enter user/password (for Credentials). I enter the correct name and password that it was set up as, and get told the username/password are incorrect. They are absolutely definitely positively (OK, you get the point) correct, but for the life of me I can't connect to it, to use it.
I'm guessing there is a simple tick-box buried in DSM that I need to check, but have no clue where to look. Can you help ??
To address the issue of being unable to connect to the DS923+ NAS from a second PC, it is worth checking and adjusting the shared folder permissions, as this could potentially resolve the problem. Follow these steps to view or change the permissions for files and folders using File Station:

Select the specific files and folders for which you want to set access privileges.
Right-click on one of the files or folders, or go to the Action menu, and select Properties.
Navigate to the General tab and choose an owner from the Owner drop-down menu.
Proceed to the Permission tab and click Create, which will open the Permission Editor.
In the Permission Editor window, manage the Access Control List (ACL) permissions for the selected files and folders by performing the following actions:
Specify the user or group whose permissions you want to customize.
Check if the permission is inherited or explicit (from a parent folder) in the "Inherit from" section.
Choose to allow or deny permission by selecting "Allow" or "Deny."
Select how the permissions will be applied to the folder, subfolders, files, or all descendants.
Manage the access permissions by ticking the relevant checkboxes for Administration, Read, and Write.
Once you have configured the permissions, click Done to save and exit the Permission Editor window.
Finally, click Save to save and exit the Properties window.

Here is more info about user access rights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl783Z0Ri6M&t=93s

I would recommend mapping a NAS drive beforehand. Here is how
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZl_iRiYCc