Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD Red Plus Drive Vibration

I have a 4 bay Synology NAS (DS421+). It has two WD Red 10 TB (WD100EAFX-68LPN0) and two 3TB (WD30EFRX-68EUZN0) drives fitted. I have purchased two new WD Red Plus 10TB (WD101EFBX-68B0AN0) drives to replace the 3TB drives and later will migrate all the drives to a new NAS (yet to be purchased). I swapped out one 3TB drive for a new WD plus drive and the noise and vibrations are really noticeable. Before I didn't not notice the NAS noise and now it can be heard 2 rooms away. I have measured the vibrations of the drives when powered up individually  in an external caddy. The old 3TB (5400rpm) drive has a peak frequency of 89.9 Hz and peak acceleration of 0.1 m/s². The new 10TB plus drives have a peak frequency of 119.9 Hz. One has a peak acceleration of 1.1 m/s² and the other 1.3 m/s². Is this acceptable? Will the vibrations damage the other drives. NAS noise means no longer suitable for a desktop environment Vibrations were measured using an accelerometer app on my phone.
Yes, vibrations technically can affect the drive lifespan. But there is very little you can do. Some people use foam and padding to minimise this. But it is up to you if/what action you take.
Bigger capacity drives are often louder and vibrate more.