Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Synology NAS

I have had a Synology NAS DS216+II 8TB for many years as an offline storage which works fine.
Despite the offline facility having fast ethernet/Fibre (200mbps download and 30mbps upload - even across 4G the video and even picture playback is slow.
My own Fibre is not as good - 38mbps download but only 6mbps upload.
I am wondering if the new Synology NAS DS723 would improve this in any way?
Clearly the bottleneck for home connect for syncing my PC with the NAS (6mbps upload) but it is very slow. Max 1Mb/s sync'ing currently.
Or what else would you recommend?
Is it easy to keep the same account and swap the physical Synology NAS?
Thanks
Certainly! Moving the drives from your current Synology NAS DS216+II 8TB to a similar NAS like the DS723 can be done effortlessly. However, it's important to note that the NAS itself cannot directly improve network-related issues, as it primarily serves as a storage device. In your case, the slow playback and syncing speeds are likely due to network limitations.

To address the slow playback, you may require transcoding to convert videos into a more suitable format for streaming over your existing network. Consider upgrading to a NAS with a more powerful processor, such as a Xeon or i5-based model, as these processors can handle transcoding tasks more efficiently.

Regarding syncing speeds, the bottleneck appears to be your home internet connection, specifically the low upload speed of 6mbps. This limitation will affect the speed at which your PC syncs with the NAS. Unfortunately, upgrading the NAS alone won't directly resolve this issue. To improve syncing speeds, you'll need to consider upgrading your internet plan to one with higher upload speeds.