Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Data Scrubbing on My Cloud PR4100? Possible upgrade?

I was talking to my uncle about his spectacular multi-state NAS redundancy setup with multiple My Cloud PR4100 units and asked him about his Data Scrubbing schedule. To my surprise, he didn't understand the question.

I found the PR4100 manual and there was no mention of Data Scrubbing. Does the My Cloud range do automatic scrubbing? Or does it even do any scrubbing?

If you were to do an incremental upgrade away from WD My Cloud, what would you suggest for a person that uses Plex a lot to show off new videos of their grandchildren's school sports games?
When it comes to the My Cloud PR4100, it's important to note that it does not have a built-in feature for data scrubbing. Data scrubbing is a process used to identify and correct errors on storage systems, ensuring data integrity and reliability. While some advanced NAS systems offer this functionality, it appears that the My Cloud range, including the PR4100, does not include automatic scrubbing capabilities.

If you're considering an incremental upgrade from the WD My Cloud and prioritize using Plex to showcase videos of your grandchildren's school sports games, there are several options worth considering. One notable choice is the Synology DiskStation DS920+ or DS923+, which are renowned for their multimedia capabilities. These models offer robust hardware, allowing for smooth 4K streaming and transcoding, ideal for showcasing high-quality videos on Plex. They also provide a user-friendly interface and a wide range of applications, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable media experience.

Another option to explore is the QNAP TS-464, which offers impressive performance and multimedia features. This model supports hardware-accelerated video transcoding, making it suitable for streaming and showcasing videos via Plex. Additionally, QNAP NAS devices have a user-friendly interface and a vast selection of applications to enhance your multimedia and storage capabilities.