Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD storage pool on 1821+

I read that the 1821+ is capable of creating a SSD Strorage pool from DSM 7.2 and on.

Now i have 1 3400 SSD as Cache

Do i need 2 SSD's?

How do ik "delete" the caching and make a SSD storage pool.
Will the system b much faster?
Yes, you can use a single or double NVMe for storage. You need a single NVMe for read cache and a double for read+write cache.
You can not use the same nvme for cache AND storage though. Need to choose one.
The cache will boost the general NAS OS system more the NVMe pool. Storage pools (NVME) are for video editing etc.
(07-03-2023, 03:00 PM)Enquiries Wrote: I read that  the 1821+ is capable of creating a SSD Strorage pool from DSM 7.2 and on.

Now i have 1 3400 SSD as Cache

Do i need 2 SSD's?

How do ik "delete" the caching and make a SSD storage pool.
Will the system b much faster?

ED already answered but I could give you a view of how I've set-up my NAS.

I have a DS1821+ and I have two SATA SSDs as my "boot" storage pool (SHR1). This is volume1.

The reason I'm not using NVMe's is because you can't (at this moment) boot from them.

Having SATA SSD's as my first pool does make many actions faster, mainly because of the superior access speeds on SSD's vs. HDD's.

So all my Containers, Virtual Machines and Surveilance Station recordings go to this SATA SSD volume.

Then I have a second volume of 5 (spinning) HDD's in SHR2 where I have the bulk storage of my data.
My spinning disks are seldom accessed (comparatively) and this also means that they do not make much noise in my use case.

Also depending on if you are going to have lots of writes to your SSD's chose a model with high endurance for what you will use them for. Since I'm recording video to mine I chose Micron 5400 PRO models which had much higher endurance than many other consumer SSD's (I could not justify to use the MAX model since I will not be writing that much them).

My systems:
DS1821+, 10 Gbit NIC, 32 GB RAM, 5 Exynos 14 TB (1 spare on shelf) | DS3612XS, 10 Gbit NIC, 12 WD RED 3 TB (one hot spare)