Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS for the not so prosumer

Hi, thanks for Your informative site. The more I hear the more I get confused though. I habe a QNAP 223 NAS mainly for time machine backup. Due to the hardware limitations the GUI go the QNAP has become almost unusable. To male things worse I have shingled WD Red (without pro) drives that are supposed to be a no go. I am thinking about getting a new system with new drives. I need it to be rather silent, I won't bei doing much VM though I would like toying around with that too. 2x8TB Drives vs 4x4TB drives ? I was thinking DS220+ with 2 8TB Toshiba or Synology 3300. Thanks !!
Thank you for your inquiry, and we appreciate your feedback on our informative site. It's understandable that the abundance of information can sometimes be overwhelming. In your case, since you're experiencing performance issues with your QNAP 223 NAS and considering a new system with new drives, we recommend exploring the Synology DS220+. This model offers a more feature-rich experience compared to the QNAP alternative. With the DS220+, you'll have the flexibility to dabble in various functionalities like Docker and virtual machines (VMs), even if your usage of them may be limited.

As for the drives, it's crucial to address the concern of using shingled magnetic recording (SMR) drives, such as the WD Red (non-Pro) drives, which are not recommended for NAS setups. In a dual-bay configuration like yours, it's preferable to opt for NAS-specific drives like the WD Red Plus or Red Pro models, designed for RAID setups such as RAID 1 or RAID 5. These drives offer better performance and reliability, ensuring optimal functionality for your storage needs.