Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology Upgrade & Configuration

I need to replace my old Synology DS209+II. Right now I am looking at the Synology DS943. I need to know the best way to configure it to meet my needs today and in the future. Basically I want to
1 - use it as a media server - currently use Plex, eventually migrate to Zappiti
2 - Starting to do video processing on my PC. I hear how many applications can use the NAS as the PC hard drive, with little latency in processing the videos.
3 - Photo storage and distribution - currently use Synology Photo Station 6 so clients can see the photos I have taken for them.
4- Of course backup.

I saw your video about using M.2 NVMe SSD in storage pools. When the video was created, there were some caveats around using m.2 as storage pools. Is that still the case? Does it have to be Synology M.2's? How big a performance improvement will I see.

Thanks in advance
Anthony Phipps
The Synology DS923+ is an excellent choice for replacing your old Synology DS209+II. This powerful NAS, based on the Ryzen platform, offers impressive features such as support for 10 Gigabit Ethernet and NVMe cache/volumes. However, it's important to note that the DS923+ does not have a transcoding chip, which means remote streaming might not be as seamless as with the DS423+. Nonetheless, the inclusion of NVMe cache can greatly enhance performance. In fact, some users take advantage of this feature by using NVMe as a volume, maximizing the benefits of input/output operations per second (IOPS). This allows for faster data processing and retrieval, particularly useful for applications like video processing on your PC. Furthermore, the DS923+ can easily handle your media server requirements, whether you currently use Plex or plan to migrate to Zappiti in the future. Additionally, it supports photo storage and distribution through Synology Photo Station 6, enabling your clients to conveniently access the photos you've taken for them. Lastly, the DS923+ provides reliable backup options to ensure the safety of your valuable data. Overall, with its powerful specifications and versatile capabilities, the DS923+ is well-equipped to meet your current and future needs.