Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for files, photos and videos and docker

I actually own a 10 years 2TB DS213j
I'm very happy with DSM but it's really really getting slow and it's almost not usable anymore. Photos app is not working properly
I need a NAS to access my camera raw files that are quite heavy (30MB each) and camera and drone files.
I also need docker to run Home Assistant and Ubiquity Unifi so it has to be x86.
I'd take DS220+ but I'm worried about the product lifecycle because it's 3years old now. I'd consider DS723+ but I don't know if my use case would benefit from caching and the different processor technology (less media oriented)
I'd also consider DS423+ but probably 4TB is not enough to consider it.
I waiting for the DS220+ successor but I don't know if it will ever come.
What do you think?
Given the information provided, we would recommend keeping an eye on Synology's product updates and announcements for a potential successor to the DS220+. Synology typically releases new models to cater to evolving user needs. While we don't have specific information on the availability of a DS220+ successor, it's worth monitoring Synology's website and official channels for any updates.

In the meantime, if you require an immediate upgrade, the DS723+ could be a viable option. While it may have a different processor technology and caching capabilities, it still offers a powerful and efficient platform for your requirements. The increased performance and potential benefits of caching may outweigh any perceived differences in media orientation.

Regarding storage capacity, it's important to evaluate your current and future storage needs. If the DS423+ with its 4TB capacity falls short of your requirements, it may be worthwhile to consider models with higher storage capacities or explore options for expanding storage in the future, such as using external storage devices or adding additional drives to the NAS.