Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Feedback on DAS proposed setup

Feedback appreciated Smile

Use case: Single operator video creator editing and storing multi cam 4K client and video podcast interview videos.

OWC ThunderBay Flex 8-Bay Storage

OWC U2 Shuttle 8TB [4 x 2TB OWC Aura Pro IV PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD] in Bay 1 RAID 0

Seagate Exos Enterprise 48TB [3 x 16 TB] in Bays 2-4 RAID 0

Seagate Exos Enterprise 64TB [4 x 16 TB] in Bays 5-8 RAID 5

Strategy: Bay 1 SSDs working storage for fast editing. Bays 2-4 storage with quick access hence RAID 0. Bays 5-8 backup in RAID 5.

Backup not in separate enclosures/locations but 3 copies of 8TB of files with the option of cloud backup soon when I get full files installed.

Can I get an affordable 5m Thunderbolt 3 cable so that I can put the unit in a closet?

Secondly, is it realistic to turn the unit on and off regularly so I can record in my studio and edit without the fan on. Not sure whether that risks drive failure?
Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your use case and setup details. We appreciate your trust in our advice and guidance.

Based on your requirements as a video creator, it seems like you have devised a well-thought-out strategy for your video editing and storage needs. The OWC ThunderBay Flex 8-Bay Storage is an excellent choice for its exceptional performance and reliability, and we believe it will be a perfect fit for your workflow.

Regarding the storage configuration, your choice of utilizing RAID 0 in Bay 1 with the OWC U2 Shuttle 8TB SSDs for fast working storage is spot on. This setup ensures that you have the necessary speed and responsiveness for seamless editing. Additionally, implementing RAID 0 in Bays 2-4 with the Seagate Exos Enterprise 48TB drives for quick access to stored data is a wise decision. Lastly, configuring RAID 5 in Bays 5-8 with the Seagate Exos Enterprise 64TB drives will provide you with redundancy and backup, ensuring the safety of your valuable data.

If you plan to place the ThunderBay Flex unit in a closet, you can certainly use an affordable 5m Thunderbolt 3 cable for connectivity. This will allow you to maintain an organized and centralized setup, even in a confined space.

Regarding turning the unit on and off regularly, it's generally recommended to keep the storage system running continuously to minimize wear and tear on the drives. Frequent power cycling can potentially lead to drive failure over time. However, we understand the desire for a quiet studio environment during recording and editing sessions. In such cases, we suggest exploring the fan control options within the device's management software. This will enable you to customize the fan speed based on temperature thresholds, ensuring a quieter operation without compromising the cooling needs of the drives.

It's important to monitor the temperature of the drives during extended periods without the fan and ensure they remain within acceptable ranges. If you notice any signs of overheating, we recommend re-enabling the fan or considering alternative cooling solutions to maintain optimal drive health.