Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guidance on how to secure a Sy DS220+ while allowing external access

Hi
Just got a Sy DS220+. Obj: backup for home ntw (PC & latptop) AND external access via Synology's Drive and Photos apps.
So far I've:
-NOT activated QuickconnectID, so Sy's Drive and Photos apps don't work from outside the LAN!!!
-Installed TailScale VPN on my NAS, PC and Android phone
-Enabled Sy's outbound connections as per TailScale directions here: https://tailscale.com/kb/1131/synology/#enabling-synology-outbound-connections
With all I am reading about what to do and what not to, I am stuck not knowing how to proceed. What else do I need to do to be able to access files and photos using Sy's Drive and Photos from the outside of my network WHILE ensuring I remain reasonably secure from ransomware and data-stealing? Could you possibly list it for me, and let me know if there's a video in your channel for each of such tasks on this list?
Yes, having a Tailscale is a very secure way to access your NAS remotely. You can also enable two-step authentication just in case someone steals your phone and laptop connected to a Tailscale. But otherwise, you are good to go. QuickConnect is also a good way to connect but might require a firewall.