Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moving to a QNAP TS-464?

I currently have an Asustor AS5002 two bay NAS that's seems to be failing. Overall it's been ok, but I have never been able to get it to consistently do some basic functions like a share drive on my desktop computer or do computer back-ups. I'm looking to upgrade to a 4 bay NAS so I can store photos, music, 4K movies, do computer back -ups for PCs and MACs and use it as a media server. I've been leaning towards the QNAP TS-464 hoping it's able to do what my old NAS hasn't been able to do, but I'm not sure if I can take the drives from my AS5002 and put them into a QNAP.
Do I need to do anything special if I want to pull my disks from an Asustor NAS and put them in a QNAP NAS?
Upgrading to a QNAP NAS, specifically the TS-464, is a wise choice considering your requirements for storing photos, music, 4K movies, computer backups, and using it as a media server. However, it's important to note that drives cannot be directly migrated between different NAS brands. In this case, since you're moving from an Asustor NAS to a QNAP NAS, you'll need to manually back up the data from your current drives and then format them for use in the QNAP NAS. Once the new NAS is set up, you can then copy the data back onto the newly formatted drives. This ensures compatibility and proper functioning within the QNAP environment.