Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home NAS for personal backup solutions

Hello NAS Compares,

For years now I have been relying on cloud providers (Dropbox, Gdrive, iClould, now Proton Drive) and local desktop storage to have some semblance of a backup solution.

I really don't produce that much data, but I would love to have a solution that is independent from my desktop storage and not so ecosystem dependent (iCloud for photo backup).

For now, I plan on keeping my NAS at home and potentially using a cloud provider for an "offsite" backup, but eventually, I may place another NAS at my in-laws for redundancy.

Any advice on hardware, setups, etc. for someone like me who really doesn't have *that* much data to backup, but wants some peace of mind?

Best,
Patrick S.
When it comes to finding a suitable NAS solution for someone who doesn't have a massive amount of data but still wants a reliable backup option, the DS220+ or DS423+ from Synology would be worth considering. These models are equipped with a Celeron CPU, making them suitable for multimedia tasks. They offer a comprehensive suite of backup applications, ensuring you have the necessary tools to protect your data. Additionally, you can set up your NAS at home and even utilize a cloud provider for an offsite backup solution. In the future, if you desire additional redundancy, you can place another NAS at a different location, such as your in-laws' place. This setup will provide you with peace of mind and the independence you seek from relying solely on desktop storage or ecosystem-dependent solutions like iCloud for photo backup.