Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing my first NAS for home backup of documents, photos, and iphone media. I would also be using it for a Plex medial server, or similar platform to stream movies both locally and remotely. Transcoding for iphone might be necessary, but not a priority.

I'm currently looking at the Synology 423+, QNAP TS-464, and the TS-453E. Do you have any recommendations between these? I know the 423+ only comes with 1Gbe ports, which I view as a bit of a downside for the future. I'm also trying to figure out which applications are included with a purchase of the NAS, and which require an additional subscription. Do you happen to have a list?

I am also debating between starting with 1 larger drive, or 2 smaller drives in a RAID 1 to give some level of protection. Thoughts here would also be appreciated. I would look to fully populate the NAS over time.

Thanks in advance

When it comes to choosing between the Synology DS423+, QNAP TS-464, and TS-453E for your first NAS, the 423+ stands out as a solid option. While it does come with 1Gbe ports, which may be seen as a downside for future-proofing, many users are satisfied with the performance of 1Gbe ports. Additionally, if you require higher speeds, you have the option of using a USB 2.5Gbe adapter, provided you have a compatible router and wiring at home. The DS423+ is powered by a Celeron processor, making it suitable for multimedia tasks, backups, and more.

In terms of included applications and subscriptions, both Synology and QNAP offer a range of applications with their NAS systems. Synology includes applications like File Station, Photo Station, and Video Station, which cover file management, photo organization, and video streaming, respectively. QNAP includes similar applications like File Station, Photo Station, and HD Station. However, it's worth noting that some advanced features or third-party applications may require additional subscriptions or licenses.

As for your storage configuration, starting with 1 larger drive or 2 smaller drives in a RAID 1 setup for data protection is a good consideration. RAID 1 provides redundancy by mirroring the data across multiple drives. This ensures that if one drive fails, your data remains intact. Starting with a RAID 1 setup gives you immediate data protection and the option to expand your storage by adding more drives over time.