Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TERRAMASTER U4-423

Hi there,

I have a Synology DS218+ that I’d like to upgrade and preferably rack mount.

I’ve just seen your video on the TerraMaster U4-423. I’ve never actually heard of TerraMaster before and looking locally it’s quite a compelling price point. Do you think it would handle some running VM’s (if upgrading the RAM) for a Plex and potentially a game server. I’d probably also look to running TrueNAS on it.

I’ve considered using some old PC parts to build something comparable, but I quite like the idea of a neat and tidy all in one solution.

Would love to know if you feel there is something else I should consider too.

Kind regards,

Sebastian.
The Synology DS218+ is a capable NAS device, but if you're looking to upgrade and rack mount your setup, the TerraMaster U4-423 might be worth considering. Although TerraMaster may be a lesser-known brand, the U4-423 offers a compelling price point, especially when compared to building a similar solution using old PC parts. The U4-423 is equipped with an Intel® Celeron® N5095 processor, which makes it suitable for running simple virtual machines or Docker containers. With an upgrade in RAM, it can handle tasks such as running a Plex media server and potentially even a game server. However, it's important to note that if you require highly responsive virtual machines with performance similar to a PC, you may want to consider an NAS with an i5 processor or build your own custom solution. Overall, the TerraMaster U4-423 provides a neat and tidy all-in-one solution for your upgraded and rack-mounted NAS needs, but it's worth evaluating your specific requirements before making a final decision.