Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for media server

Hi I currently have an old 4TB Seagate Central which is now full. I use it to store media files to play via the Infuse app by Firecore on 2x Apple TV's and an iPhone when I'm away from home. I was looking at the Sinology DS923+ but saw your review and wasn't sure if it would be the right solution. Hardware wise I was looking for at least 4 bays with around 1x 8TB SSD to start with and then add more when needed. I'm also not sure how much memory I world need, would I benefit from a 10GBE connectivity or M.2 NVME SSD. I was looking more at SSD storage as this seems to be faster, cooler, quieter and all round better option but am not bothered iid you think HDD would better suit my requirements / usage. I'm not really worried about raid as I know this is more for redundancy and so I always have everything backed up on portable HDD's. Any advice you can give me on my best options and where to buy from would be greatly appreciated.
or your storage needs and usage scenario, the Synology DS923+ is indeed a suitable choice. Considering your preference for SSD storage, it can provide the speed, reliability, and quiet operation you're looking for. In terms of memory, the default RAM size should be sufficient, but if you plan on utilizing virtual machines or Docker, consider upgrading to 8GB or more. As for connectivity, if you require faster data transfer, a 10GbE option would be beneficial. The SHR1 or SHR2 RAID configurations are suitable, with SHR2 providing extra data redundancy. Notable NVMe options include IronWolf NVMe or FireCuda drives.