Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Advice

I've been running a WD 1TB Zyxel NSA310 for almost 8-years with no issues. Mainly used to backup data from all other devices to free them up. All really important data from the NAS is backed up regularly/ manually to OneDrive. I will soon be adding CCTV and delving into Home Assistant.

I'm really confused which route to go down.
1. A new NAS (maybe DS220+)
2. Attach USB to router
3. Build a NAS/ server

Please can you provide some guidance.
Based on your requirements and situation, the DS220+ would be the most suitable choice for you. While attaching a USB drive to your router may seem like a convenient option, it can result in slower performance compared to a dedicated NAS. Building your own NAS/server might offer flexibility, but it also requires ongoing maintenance and time investment.

The DS220+ is a solid NAS solution that offers a user-friendly interface, reliable performance, and a range of features. It will provide you with a dedicated storage solution for backing up your data, running CCTV, and exploring Home Assistant. With a pre-built NAS like the DS220+, you'll benefit from regular firmware updates, built-in support, and efficient energy usage.

By opting for a dedicated NAS, you can save time and effort on system setup and maintenance, allowing you to focus on utilizing the NAS for your specific needs. The DS220+ offers expandable storage capacity, data protection features, and the ability to access your files remotely. Additionally, it integrates seamlessly with various third-party applications, ensuring compatibility and versatility.