Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best rack for Plex

Hi,
Very useful channel. Thanks.

I currently have a drobo 2, which I think must be 15 years old! Time for an upgrade.
I'm a home user, mainly use NAS for archive storage, Plex and want to move Home Assistant to my new NAS. I don't need NVR; that will be on UniFi. I mainly watch Plex in my home, so not sure how much transcoding will be required. Plex currently works fine for me on my USB Drobo and server on a 2014 Mac Mini.

I want to move everything to a rack. I know the desktop units could sit in a cabinet, but my preference would be for a Qnap rack solution.

Do you have any suggestions, or is one with integrated graphics too much more money compared to a desktop NAS that it's not worth it in your opinion?

Best wishes,
James
You could consider Qnap Celeron based rack - [ts-464u] CPU-Model =Intel® Celeron® N5105/N5095 4-core/4-thread processor, burst up to 2.9 GHz Form-Factor =1U Rackmount
If you can play video with the current setup, you may not need anything more.
But if you may need 4k transcoding remotely one day. Here are few options :
[RS1619xs+] Form-Factor = 1U CPU-Model = Intel Xeon D-1527
[ts-983xu] CPU-Model =Intel® Xeon® E-2124 quad-core 3.3 GHz processor (burst up to 4.3 GHz) Form-Factor =1U Rackmount
[ts-h987xu-rp] CPU-Model =Intel® Xeon® E-2334 4C 8T 3.4GHz, up to 4.8GHz Form-Factor =1U Rackmountno suggestion