Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for DS416play

Used for irreplaceable documents and data. Reliability is utmost importance. Currently run in RAID-6 configuration. Use for backup and online streaming of music and movies (many home archives over 70 years old). Also, I backup to hard disk (store offsite) and backup to Synology Cloud. Started with 3x2TB disks and grew to its current size. Mainly concerned about age and that Synology will soon put DiskStation into maintenance only mode for this model so I want to go with newer model. Choice seems to be between DS423, DS423+, and DS923+. I'm ok with standard 1G port. All seem very similar hardware except for CPU. Also, how important is ECC in DS923+? What model do you recommend? Also, toying with DS923+ because # disks can be expanded. If I want to upgrade beyond current 8TB useful capacity (with RAID-6) am I better off with DS923+ and adding expansion chassis where I can just add another 4TB drive or should I bite the bullet and upgrade all current disks?
Considering your requirements for reliability, backup, online streaming, and future expansion, both the DS423+ and DS923+ models from Synology would be suitable choices. In terms of overall performance, these models are quite similar, with the main difference lying in their CPUs. The DS423+ is particularly well-suited for multimedia tasks, making it a good option for streaming music and movies from your home archives.

Regarding the importance of ECC (Error-Correcting Code) in the DS923+, it primarily comes into play when running intensive workloads or applications that demand high data integrity, such as virtual machines or web servers. For typical home use, ECC may not be a critical factor to consider.

If you're looking to expand beyond your current 8TB capacity in RAID-6, the DS923+ offers the advantage of expansion capabilities and a 10GbE upgrade slot. With the DS923+, you have the option to add an expansion chassis and gradually increase your storage capacity by adding more 4TB drives. This can be a cost-effective solution, allowing you to upgrade your NAS without needing to replace all the current disks at once.