Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying advice

I have used a Synology DS215J at home for a number of years with no problem. I have 2 x WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZNO 2.7TB hard drives which are still working fine and show as "healthy"
I am looking to get another NAS in order to be able to run PLEX, a VPN and ADBLOCK since I am no longer able to update DSM past version 6.2.
I was thinking of maybe a 4 four bay NAS so that I could utilise my existing 2 hard drives at first and then purchasing 2 more at a later date as funds allow. Is this feasible with such old drives? And if so what would you recommend? I managed to set up the 2 drives years ago in a simple RAID setup in order to mirror each other but I am a NOOB really, so ease of setup would be good.
I need to have a fairly easy load, in that I back up all mt documents, files and media straight to the NAS and do not keep much on my PC or Laptop.
TIA
It would be fairly straightforward to move to DS420j. No need to format the drives.
But if you need apps such as virtual machines, and active backup for business, then consider ds423+.
You can use old drives. It is fine.