Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS do I need?

Hello there.

I have been scratching my head for a while now. Most of the time I can't decide between DS923+ and DS423+. I feel as if I want the former for how much it offers, but then I'm not sure if I will ever utilise it. The latter appeals to me as I want to share my Plex library.

I'm a software engineer and I spin up a lot of my local environments from my PC. Being able to use Docker on NAS is very appealing, but not sure if I truly need it?

And lastly (which probably should be mentioned first) I am an iPhone user and I run mainly Windows at home. Originally I wanted to migrate my iCloud photos to NAS but I understand that I can't just simply move my library there and I’m not interested in replacing Apple photos with something like Synology photos. I probably would just spin up a Docker container to download my photos to NAS to store them there as a backup. With all that said I want to understand if I will benefit from DSM? If not, is still Synology a valid choice? Thank
I would go for DS423+ because it is more multimedia-friendly. DS923+ is better for virtual machines. docker etc
Here is a comparison https://nascompares.com/compare/synology...-vs-ds923/