Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a NAS I can use for movies and music (with Sonos)...possibly photos too

I've purchased a Sonos system and want a NAS drive on which I can store and access all my music (I have quite a few CDs which I've ripped to MP3)

I also have quite a number of DVDs (also ripped to MP4) which I'd like to be able to put on the NAS too, so I can watch them on my TV (LG ~3 years old).

I have an existing 2TB hard drive (Seagate SkyHawk Lite) which I had originally thought would be enough to start with, but if allowing for future growth, RAID, etc then I guess I'm probably going to need more than one drive and possibly more than 2TB....so maybe 4TB?

At this stage I'm only really planning on making the content available from home...but if it's possible to set it up to be accessible from anywhere, then that could be something useful to get into. I believe you have to be careful re security though if delving into this side of things.
When it comes to finding a NAS drive to store and access your music collection, as well as your ripped DVDs for convenient TV playback, the DS220+ or DS423+ from Synology would be great options to consider. These NAS models are based on Celeron processors and offer the necessary performance and storage capabilities to meet your requirements. While you initially thought a 2TB hard drive would suffice, considering future growth and the potential for RAID configurations, opting for a larger capacity such as 4TB would be advisable.

In terms of accessibility, if you're primarily planning to access the content from home, setting up the NAS to be accessible remotely might not be a priority. However, if you're interested in accessing your files from anywhere, it is indeed possible but requires careful consideration of security measures to protect your data.

With a Celeron-based NAS like the DS220+ or DS423+, you can enjoy reliable performance, ample storage capacity, and the flexibility to expand your NAS setup in the future. These NAS models will cater to your music and video storage needs while providing a user-friendly interface for easy management.