Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can single NAS support NAS and NVR functionality

Hello!
I am building a new home and I am planning out my new HomeLab /network and security cameras. I already have installed 8 POE drops for security cameras and APs, and another 8 Ge network drops around the house. I have not locked down any equipment vendors yet.
For the HomeLab, I am looking to play with Home Assistant and NextCloud services, and anything else that catches my fancy. I also want to play with Proxmox. So, I am thinking of starting with a NAS to support my initial dive into HA and NextCloud and general file serving. Then get a dedicated server (a miniPC ?) when I want to jump into Proxmox.
My questions are: Can a single NAS support both my initial NAS services and NVR functionality? If I get a 4 bay NAS and I want to use 3 bays for a RAID, can I configure the 4th for NVR storage? Does that make sense? Might I run into running out of local network bandwidth when I get a dedicated server which might do some media streaming?
Proxmox and NAS services can not be run simultaneously if you install it and boot from it.
But otherwise, you can switch between NAS and Proxmox. Or have a separate NAS or mini PC.
Regarding NAS and surveillance. You can easily run those two things simultaneously.