Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing my first NAS

Hi,

Love your channel. I'm looking in to buying my first NAS. Right now I have a home lab with OMV but I'm looking in to something more stable and easy to set up and maintain. What I'm looking for is a NAS for streaming media at home trough SMB, back up photos from phones and manage some files between the home members (3-4 users). For the time being i believe that storage around 4-6 TB should be more than enough. On top of that I would like to be able to run some containers such as Transmission, Radarr, Jellyfin, maybe Nextcloud (i don't know whether there are benefits vs DSM), so I will need something with a bit more RAM or the possibility to expand. One of the main concerns that I have are around noise as the NAS will be placed in my living room so I would prefer it to be as silent as possible .
I was thinking about buying a second hand device and was looking in to Synology DS220+. So I would love to hear your thoughts and also to ask should I look in to other brands?
Thank you for your kind words about our channel! We appreciate your support. It sounds like you have some specific requirements for your first NAS, and the Synology DS220+ would be a great choice. It's a reliable and user-friendly NAS that offers streaming capabilities, photo backup, file management, and the ability to run containers for applications like Transmission, Radarr, and Jellyfin. While 4-6 TB of storage should be sufficient for your current needs, it's always good to have room for future expansion. In terms of noise, the DS220+ is known for its quiet operation, making it suitable for placement in your living room. Considering you're open to second-hand devices, it's worth exploring other reputable brands like QNAP as well. Just make sure the device meets your specific requirements, such as a Celeron-based model for better performance with container applications and the option to expand the RAM if needed. We hope this helps, and feel free to reach out if you have further questions. Good luck with your NAS journey!