Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dead DS413J replacement

Hi,

My old DS413J has died. t was used for file, photo and video/movie storage.

For the replacement I would like to make use of Plex.
I am considering Synology 920+ or moving over to QNAP.

1. Do I need to be concerned with Synology's strategy re supported drives. Only Synology drives are officially compatible with 920+? Is there a risk that they restrict to Synology drives only in the future?

2. Do I have to buy Synology and transfer the hard drives to get back up and running or can I transfer data to a new Qnap from the synology backup?

Many thanks. Your site has been very informative.

Regards,

Oliver
Sorry to hear about your DS413J. If you're considering using Plex on your replacement NAS, the Synology DS920+ or a QNAP model are both viable options. While Synology recommends their own drives for compatibility, you can still use third-party drives as long as they meet the specifications. It's unlikely that Synology will restrict non-Synology drives in the future. If you decide to switch to QNAP, you can transfer your data from the Synology backup to the new NAS using various methods supported by both brands. Keep in mind that for remote streaming and 4K transcoding, a more powerful processor like a Celeron or i5 might be necessary. Thank you for finding our site informative, and good luck with your replacement NAS and Plex setup!