Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS and HDD/SSD to choise

Hi I hope this email finds you well?
I need an advise - My Drobo 5N died on me ... all my 4x4TB RED WD 5400 Nas drive is now dead (or Drobo slowly stopped working?) Right now - Total gone :-(
So I need a replacement (new NAS)
I love the 4 bay - But could properly live with 2-bay?
I have an old (20yr old) Buffalo that I use as a backup NAS (2x2TB)
I did look a lot at the TS-464 and wanted some SSD (Working from home since 1995) so noise is an issue for us (Wife from Nott. works here with me). I also have a 2-bay ShareCenter as 2. backup.
My Drobo ate 2 disc - leaving me with 2 - But now I can't boot it up :-(
Can I use SSD and what brand? And model to use for NAS?
Can I just load the TS-464 with M.2. (Or is that like Drobo a "Buffer disc?) What brand and model to use? and size?

My guess is that 3 disc is better than 2 for data-protection?

Hope to hear from you soon.... Have a nice Pentecost

All the best
Peter
Hello! I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your Drobo 5N and the loss of your drives. Let's help you find a suitable replacement NAS and address your concerns.

If you prefer a 4-bay NAS, the QNAP TS-464 is indeed a solid choice. To address the noise issue and potentially improve performance, you can consider using SSDs instead of traditional hard drives. SSDs are typically quieter and offer faster data access speeds. Several reliable brands and models are suitable for NAS usage, including the Samsung 970 Pro, Synology SNV3400, Seagate FireCuda 510, Seagate IronWolf 525, Seagate FireCuda 530, Seagate PS5 Game Drive, Seagate FireCuda 520, and WD Red SN700.

Regarding M.2 SSDs, they can be used in some NAS models as a cache or for storage. However, the TS-464 does not have built-in M.2 slots. Therefore, if you want to use M.2 SSDs, you may need to consider a different NAS model that supports them.

In terms of data protection, having three drives in a RAID 5 configuration can provide redundancy, allowing for the failure of a single drive without data loss. It's generally recommended to have at least three drives for RAID 5. However, keep in mind that SSDs have limited endurance, measured in DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day). Consider SSD models with higher DWPD ratings for better durability, such as the WD Red SN700 with 1.0 DWPD.

Ultimately, choose a NAS that fits your storage needs, supports the desired number of bays, and consider SSDs from reliable brands. Ensure compatibility with the NAS model you choose. Feel free to reach out if you have further questions or need more assistance. Have a great Pentecost!