Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Require a large NAS for backup media for light playback

I have a large collection of thousands of DVDs, blurays and even some VHS, I really want to digitise my collection for local playback without degrading any of the discs and I've done some calculations, it's estimated between 100-200tb, so I think I'd ideally aim for the higher end given I do intend to expand indefinitely.

It's not an environment where speedy access is overly problematic for the most part (I guess seeking through a large bluray would potentially be a minor issue) so that likely at the very least rules out tape storage, but I don't need to buy two 100tb exadrives by numbus either. I'm a little lost but would rather not spend an inordinate amount of money on it if at all possible. Though I'm pretty sure storage in the UK costs around 2.5x as much as almost any other country in the world too...
Hey there! Digitizing a large DVD, Blu-ray, and VHS collection while aiming for expandability can be a storage-intensive task. Considering the estimated 100-200TB storage requirement, it's wise to plan for the higher end of that range to accommodate future expansions.

With your preference for local playback and not requiring super-fast access, tape storage might not be necessary. However, purchasing multiple 100TB Exadrives could be costly. To find a balance between storage capacity and cost-effectiveness, a NAS solution with large capacity options would be ideal.

QNAP offers several NAS models with 12-bay configurations, which would provide the required storage capacity for your collection. These NAS systems allow you to easily add and expand your storage capacity over time as needed. By starting with a lower number of drives and gradually adding more, you can manage your costs effectively.

Considering the cost of storage in the UK, it's worth comparing prices across different vendors and regions to find the best deal. Online retailers or authorized resellers may offer competitive prices or promotions that can help reduce costs.

To sum it up, a QNAP 12-bay NAS solution would be a suitable choice for digitizing and storing your extensive DVD, Blu-ray, and VHS collection. It allows for expandability while keeping costs manageable. Be sure to research and compare the specific models that fit your needs, considering factors such as storage capacity, performance, and price. Happy digitizing!