Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DIY NAS - NUC vs ATX?

Hi all

First time poster here so please be gentle!

I'm in the market for a NAS. Primarily for a Plex server currently running 1080p content but would like to try and future proof for 4K.

I've been looking at all in one options and was leaning towards a a 4-bay synology or similar.

I then remembered I have some surplus hardware kicking around. I'm comfortable building PCs and am aware there will likely be more of a learning curve/tinkering over something like a synology solution on both the hardware and software sides. I enjoy the DIY side of things so happy to try this route.

I have available to me:
  • NUC5i5MYHE - Intel i5-5300U @ 2.90GHz with 8GB DDR3
  • ASUS X99-A II ATX MB with an Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @3.50GHZ with 32GB DDR4

I'll also likely have a GeForce 970 available to use at some point in the next few months

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons with each option. This will be my first NAS so I'm on a bit of a learning curve here! Currently running Plex on windows from my gaming rig and want to move it onto a dedicated device.

Some things I'm trying to work out are:
  • Would the NUC be underpowered and/or the ATX setup be overpowered
  • Are there all in one case enclosures for either option that feature hot swapping for up to 8-bays? The Asus X99 has 10 sata ports I could utilise without adding additional hardware

I've done a bit of searching for a case that supports hot swapping with an ATX board and can't find much. I know I could by a standard PC cases that has 8 bays but was aiming more for a shorter/wider case as opposed to a tower.

So what would you guys do if you had the above hardware available to you and were looking to build a NAS?
Welcome to the community! Building your own NAS can be a rewarding experience, and with the hardware you have available, you have a couple of options to consider.

First, let's assess the hardware you mentioned. The NUC with the Intel i5-5300U processor may struggle with 4K transcoding in Plex due to its lower power and older architecture. However, it could still work well for direct streaming or handling lower-resolution content.

On the other hand, the ASUS X99-A II ATX motherboard paired with the Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 processor offers more processing power, making it better suited for handling 4K transcoding and potentially multiple streams simultaneously. If you combine this setup with the GeForce 970 GPU, you can offload hardware-accelerated transcoding to improve performance even further.

In terms of case options, finding an all-in-one case with hot-swappable bays for ATX motherboards can be a challenge. However, you could consider using a standard ATX case with drive cages that support hot swapping or opt for an external storage enclosure connected to your NAS build via eSATA or USB 3.0.

Considering your goals of running Plex and future-proofing for 4K content, leveraging the ASUS X99-A II ATX setup with the Xeon processor and potential GPU acceleration seems like a promising option. It provides the necessary power to handle transcoding and multiple streams effectively. Just make sure to choose a suitable case and storage solution that meets your requirements for hot-swappable bays and capacity.

Remember, building your own NAS may require some tinkering and troubleshooting, but it also offers flexibility and customization options. If you're up for the challenge and enjoy the DIY aspect, it can be a great learning experience. Feel free to explore online communities and forums for further guidance and inspiration. Good luck with your NAS build!