Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 bay NAS selection?

Dear Rob,
First of all congratulations for your website, it is very impressive the amount of infomation.
I am selecting a NAS server for home. I come from a WD My Book Live (1Tb) that I used for backups and sotring videos that I play from my TV.
As 1 Tb became not enough and I was worried about redundancy of data, I thought about buyong a new one.
First I tried a WD My Cloud Ex2 but the experience was very bad: noisy and slow, so I returned the product.
From that experience I decided to sutdy a bit more the topic before buying a new one. I saw the new launch of the DS220j and I thought it could be the best option, but after reading your comments, I thought that perhaps memory was going to be a problem and a different model from Sinology or another brand could be a better option (or even wait for the launch of a new model).
Basically, as I said, I work with a Mac mini and a Windows 10 (with usual work done in SSDs); we are a family of 4 so we have some iOS and Android phones and tablets; and also a very new 4k TV.
I would like to do backups in the NAS, copy photos and videos from the phones, play movies on TV... I would like the device to be a longlasting one (perhaps compatible with SSDs in case in the future I want to change to them; USB 3...) as I wouldn't like to feel that I need to change to a different one soon...
Sorry for the long explanation, but your advice would be highly appreciated. Of course if you need more information, please tell me.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Kind regards,
Rubén
Yes, DS220j is the weakest model in the Synology range. It is a good NAS for file storage and backups, but for multimedia, it will struggle. I would rather pick a DS218play or DS218+. But if you would need something really future proof then DS218+ or DS718+ would be a way to go. It would allow you to upgrade the RAM and expand with extra bays. If you plan on using SSD later- all NAS will support this.I hope this helps.