Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex media server on NAS

Hi guys,
I bought a Synology DS423+ to run as a home plex media server.
I went down the JBOD route (I know this isn't a popular option, but backups are not a problem, as I have this sorted another way).
I've added 4 drives 18TB/12TB/5TB and 2TB
I have 4TB of Music, 10TB TV and 14TB of Movies
I'm still uploading all to Plex, and is taking a while.
Firstly, I'm getting a lot of the time (no matter what device I try to access the Plex NAS on) Something went wrong. I've left it so the plex is only detecting intro's on the TV shows (which is taking soooooo long), and it's still saying this a lot of the time. Is this because I've added a huge amount at once and need to optimise the database? I'm hoping so as ill do that once finished adding everything.
I also have a spare 128GB SSD NVME...is it worth installing or should I not bother. IF I should, how should I utilise it.
I am only using this NAS for Plex
THX in advance
If you are experiencing issues with Plex on your Synology DS423+, it could be due to the large amount of content being added at once. Optimizing the database once you finish adding everything might help improve performance. As for the spare 128GB NVMe SSD, installing it as a cache device (SSD caching) can potentially enhance Plex performance by accelerating frequently accessed data. However, since you are primarily using the NAS for Plex, the benefit may not be significant, especially if you already have fast drives. You can consider using the SSD for other purposes like a dedicated cache for file transfers or as a separate volume for specific applications or files.