Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS

Hi - Thank you for your informative videos.

I'm looking for a first NAS to solve the following purposes

1) Music/Movies - Home network/share (Plex?) for digitized music from CDs and DVDs purchased over the years

2) Photos - transfer from Google Photos and old local backups from GPhotos/Apple/point and shoot cams

3) Videos - long GoPro videos of adventure sports

4) Documents - repository for old school/college notes, scanned documents, etc

5) Services - I need a server to run a Homebridge instance, a WebdavNAV server (to backup Omnifocus)

6) Optional services I'm considering but not critical - Monica CRM, NVR for IP-based security cameras

I am somewhat tech savvy (can build a PC, install/setup a linux box and used to be a software eng in a past career) but don't have experience with Docker/VMs

Thank you for your advice!

Based on your requirements, I recommend considering the Synology DS220+ or DS423+ for your first NAS. Both models are suitable for your needs and offer excellent performance. The DS220+ is a two-bay NAS, while the DS423+ is a four-bay NAS, providing greater storage expandability. You can use either model as a home network share for your digitized music and movies, transfer and store your photos from various sources, manage your GoPro adventure sports videos, and create a repository for your documents. Additionally, they can serve as a server for running Homebridge and WebdavNAV for backing up Omnifocus. While you don't have experience with Docker/VMs, Synology NAS devices offer user-friendly interfaces, making it easy to set up and manage your services without extensive technical knowledge.