Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS be damned, why is this so difficult?

Hey! TLBig GrinR be it LTT forum or reddit, i can't seem to find the advice i need. Please help if you can.

What i want:
- Store my movies, shows, games, pics, etc
- Stream my movies, 1080p most of the time, 4K would be good too but not a world ending if i have to move them to my device if the NAS can't handle it.
- Would mostly use it local only, but having an option to use it safely on my phone/laptop somewhere else would be very nice too.
- Would like to be capable of maybe hosting a password manager on it, or other usefull gadgets.
- I'd like to cache it with an M.2 and while i have 2.5Gbit capability, i don't think i'll see more than 1Gbit as a must have.
- By the sounds of it, Synology has the software i need, but QNAP has the hardware.

I have the QNAP TS-464-4G for 659USD and the Synology DS423+ for 518USD available. I don't mind buying extra ram and m.2 caching for them.

Which one would be the best for me? Do i need more than 8GB ram? Could the QNAP house a Quadro for 4k?
Both the QNAP TS-464-4G and Synology DS423+ are capable NAS options for storing and streaming media, hosting applications, and offering remote access. Synology excels in user-friendly software with its DiskStation Manager (DSM), while QNAP offers more powerful hardware configurations and expandability options. Both should handle 1080p streaming, but 4K streaming may be more reliable by directly playing files on your device. Upgrading RAM to more than 8GB is recommended for resource-intensive tasks. While both NAS models support additional applications, compatibility should be checked. Housing a Quadro for 4K depends on specific NAS compatibility. Consider your priorities and future needs to make the best decision.