Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology nas vs diy storage / virtualisation server

I am interested in investing in a nas storage device with the purpose of storing and streaming media on local computers and occassionaly hosting and storing lightwieght virtual machines such as linux.

I was considering getting a Synology DS423+ or a DS923+ or else buying an old dell poweredge server for the same use case. Which would be ideal to get? I do have IT Knowledge and I am fairly confident in working with IT equipment.
If you have IT knowledge and confidence in working with IT equipment, considering an old Dell PowerEdge server could be a viable option for your use case. A server provides more flexibility and scalability compared to a dedicated NAS device like the Synology DS423+ or DS923+. You can customize the server's hardware configuration, including storage capacity, networking capabilities, and processing power, to better suit your needs. Additionally, a server offers greater potential for running lightweight virtual machines and hosting various services.

However, it's worth noting that setting up and maintaining a server requires more technical expertise and may involve additional complexity compared to a NAS device. You would be responsible for the entire server infrastructure, including hardware compatibility, operating system installation, software configuration, and ongoing maintenance.