Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mesh and NAS?

I currently have virgin broadband 200Mb which on a wired connection is fast but wifi is poor with multiple devices connected. This is the main reason for upgrading now. I dont have any real need for improved range just yet but will do in the future. The virgin router has wired connections 4 devices - TV, XBOX, Sonos and STB.

I saw your youtube video comparing synology and google mesh systems at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFl1w0d9sMs. I am leaning toward the synology but what I was not sure of from the video was whther I would need both the synology MR2200ac and RT2600ac. If the RT2600ac is required just to give ethernet connections, could I get the MR2200ac and use that with an ethernet switch (there are some spare ones knowking about in the office)

Also, Im looking for a NAS solution to give me 1TB storage. A friend has used a synology NAS DS918+ and is very happy with it. Is this something you would recommend. I would also need the actual drives to put in the NAS system as well.

I would appreciate your advice

Thanks

T

It is indeed a waste not to have your WiFi utilizing this 200Mbit speed. Mesh systems are very useful to cover any corner in your home. It is so much better than range extenders which disconnect in crossover locations. People combine MR and RT for sake of greater coverage. But you can easily set up only MR2200ac mesh points on their own. You can even set it up to be an Access point, not a mesh if you mix it with other brand routers. In order to get more LAN ports, you can connect any other switch to it.Choosing DS918+ as a home NAS is a very future proof choice. It features an SSD cache and a video transcoding engine. This is a perfect solution for multimedia and even business. If all you need is a 1TB storage space, you can start with just two drives in a RAID1. You can then add more drives later if you need to. WD Red seems to be the most popular choice. These drives spin slower and generate less noise. You could also use SSD drives for absolute silence and improved speeds. Samsung Evo 970 is a popular choice.I hope this helps.