Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need advice: Netgear ReadyNAS Pro to TrueNas

Hi, i have old Netgear ReadyNAS pro, it is 6 bay nas but it is too slow and i can't make it seamlessly work with iOS and android. I have old Dell desktop with i5 processor and was wondering if it would make sense to build TrueNas system out of it and those drives that i already have, will it make any performance difference? I need a system that would be easy with iphones and android phones to automatically backup photos/videos and be accessible in Mac and Windows also. Thank you so much for your advice.
Building a TrueNAS system using your old Dell desktop with an i5 processor and your existing drives can potentially provide improved performance and functionality compared to your current Netgear ReadyNAS Pro. TrueNAS is known for its efficiency and performance, and running it on more powerful hardware should result in smoother operations and faster file transfers. Additionally, TrueNAS offers a wide range of features, including automatic backup and easy accessibility across different platforms, making it suitable for your needs. Building your own TrueNAS system using existing components can also save you money compared to purchasing a new NAS, while providing flexibility and scalability for future upgrades. Just ensure that your Dell desktop meets the hardware requirements for TrueNAS and consider power consumption and noise levels.