Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Netgear Going Away!

Greetings! I absolutely love your YouTube channel, and I watch it often - Thank You for all the information. I utilize Netgear everything, ugh! Netgear Nighthawk 2.5 Gbps (CM2000), Nighthawk X10 (R9000), and ReadyNas 426! As you are probably aware, ReadyCloud is going away 07/31/2023, and I'm not quite sure what this means to my NAS, as I am not just PC Ignorant, I am PC Stupid, lol! I Use the ReadyCloud, but despise it, so I don't see this as much of a loss, So that being said, will my NAS now stop working as of 07/2023, or continue to work, or should I use it as a boat anchor, and purchase a new NAS (You seem to like ASUS Gen 2). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. PS, PLEX is what is mostly utilized, as we have about 650 movies...
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you find the YouTube channel informative. Regarding your Netgear ReadyNAS and the discontinuation of ReadyCloud, let me provide some clarification. ReadyCloud is a service provided by Netgear that enables remote access and management of your ReadyNAS device. While the ReadyCloud service is ending, it doesn't mean your NAS will stop working or become unusable after July 31, 2023.

You will still be able to access and use your ReadyNAS locally within your home network without any issues. However, without the ReadyCloud service, you won't have the remote access functionality or the ability to manage your NAS through the cloud. If you primarily use PLEX and access your media within your home network, this shouldn't be a significant problem for you.

If you're satisfied with the performance of your current ReadyNAS and don't heavily rely on remote access, you can continue using it as before without any immediate need to replace it. However, if you're considering an upgrade or exploring other NAS options, the ASUS Gen 2 NAS devices are indeed worth considering, as they offer good performance, features, and user-friendly interfaces.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase a new NAS depends on your specific needs and preferences. If your current NAS meets your requirements and you're content with its performance, there may not be an immediate need for a replacement. However, if you're looking for additional features or improved performance, exploring new NAS options could be beneficial.
If you do want an upgrade, Quad core Celeron based models like ds423+ is a good choice.