Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying my first NAS

Hi!
I‘m thinking of buying a NAS for my home network to store primarily my pictures (RAW-format) and videos as well as data on it. A private Cloud system would ve nice too. since i‘m new to that subject i feel a little bit lost so you might give me some information and guidance. I was thinking on using 2 4GB HDDs in Raid 1 to prevent loss of data if one HDD should fail after some time.

Kind regadrs

Alex
The Synology DS220+ is a suitable choice for your requirements. It is a reliable and user-friendly NAS device that offers good performance for home use. Here are some key points to consider:

Storage Capacity: The DS220+ has two drive bays, allowing you to install two hard drives. With RAID 1, where the data is mirrored between the drives, you will effectively have the capacity of one drive available. Therefore, if you use two 4TB HDDs in RAID 1, you will have 4TB of usable storage space.

Data Protection: RAID 1 is a great choice for data redundancy. It ensures that your data is safe even if one of the drives fails. If one drive fails, you can replace it without losing any data. The DS220+ supports various RAID configurations, including RAID 1, so you can set it up easily.

Multimedia Support: The DS220+ is capable of handling your RAW photo files and videos. It can also transcode videos on the fly, allowing you to stream them to different devices even if they don't support the original file format.

Private Cloud: Synology offers their DiskStation Manager (DSM) software, which includes features for creating your private cloud system. It allows you to access your files remotely, sync data across multiple devices, and share files securely with others.

User-Friendly Interface: The DSM software has an intuitive and user-friendly interface, making it easy to manage your NAS and access various applications and features.